Monday, August 2, 2010

Es la leche.

While it literally translates to "It's the milk," "Es la Leche" is the Spanish slang equivalent to "It's the bomb" in English.

This phrase is one I learned tonight at dinner, amongst other things. I've only been in Alicante for two full days and already I feel more enlightened, enriched, and enthusiastic about Spanish culture, and to be quite honest, a way of living in general.

For our ten day stay, Lauren, her cousin Reghan, and I are being hosted by their Mothers' cousin Marie and her best friend Carmen. The piso we are sharing with them is fabulous; it's like nothing I imagined living in here in Spain (especially after nearly six weeks in Rafaela's lackluster apartment). Leading up to the doorway of the building sits a beautiful plaza complete with small cafe's accompanied by friendly locals, and a gorgeous fountain surrounded by even more gorgeous flowers and foliage. Carmen's place occupies the first floor of the apartment building dating back to 1905. The original tall hard wood doors meet breathtaking woodwork at the ceiling, and antique tiles at the floor. As soon as I stepped into the piso I thought of my Mom and how much she would admire the original architecture. What's even better is that Lauren's family renovated the apartment to add central air conditioning, wi-fi (pronounced wee-fee here in Espana), and a brand new kitchen/bathrooms. =]

Yesterday was our first full day here, and we had an extraordinary mid-day meal (traditionally the biggest meal of the day for Spaniards): a tomato and cucumber salad, penne pasta with sesame seeds, onion and rabbit, and finally a shepards pie type dish with bull's tail - the meat was from the actual bull slaughtered at the past weekend's local bull fight.

We spent the rest of the day at the beach - only a block away - and exploring "el barrio" where the majority of young night life takes place. Alicante is much smaller than Barcelona, but I like it this way. It is less expensive and everyone seems to know at least someone wherever they go.

Today, we went to a a farther, very relaxing beach called San Juan.
Later in the evening Marie and Carmen took us to the house of their dear friend, Laura, whom lives on the outskirts of the city in an incredible house / studio. The outside of the house is bright blue and the inside looks like it come straight out of a movie! Laura owns her own online Espadrille store (espadrillesetc.com - check it out!) and the warehouse sits beneath her living quarters. Obviously, we got our own personal shopping experience. ;)


After an hour or so of shopping in Laura's home, we went out for an amazing dinner. The food was savory, but the company was even better. Ranging from 77 to 19 years of age, eight of us shared wine, tapas, and a million stories that had us laughing to the point of tears. I can't find the words to explain the entertainment brought on by the comedy act that is the "Marie and Carmen show" nor can I illustrate the absolute zeal for life, intelligence and generosity radiated by M&C and their friends alike. However, I think I can vow for Reghan, Lauren and I when I say that tonight was definitely one of the best, if not the best, nights in Spain yet. Alicante is a wonderful city in itself, but being able to enjoy it with these people has transformed my vacation into a magnificently life-changing event. It's only been two days in Alicante and already I realize how blessed I am to be here with these people. Marie, Carmen, and Laura all have incredible stories about their lives, and once I learn more about them I'm sure I will be sharing them with anyone who wants to listen!



I can only hope that I have half as much intelligence, culture, and absolute passion for life as these women do in 40+ years.

Two days in, and I can honestly say, this trip es La Leche.

No comments:

Post a Comment