Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Santos, Cantos, Cuestas, Sabios y Encantos"

These five words (Saints, Pebbles, Hills, Wisdom and Beauty) are the words associated with the description of the city of Toledo. Immediately, I fell in love.


Simply driving up to the city was amazing: the landscape is breathtaking and the old buildings are awe-inspiring. When we arrived (it was about an hour drive from Madrid) we took a walking tour through the city. Our guide was very helpful, and muy comico, his name was Fernando. He took us first to a monastery - the detailing throughout the granite and limestone architecture was absolutely amazing. Next we visited a synagogue converted to a museum where I learned a lot about the history of Spain in regards to the Muslims, Jews, and Christians that inhabited the country for so long. Lastly we visted La Casa Del Greco - an iglesia (church) decorated in El Greco's works which was captivating.

After our tour we had free time to shop and eat. We chose an outdoor cafe (the weather was beautiful, as usual) where we could order a 3 course meal for 10 euros. I was very impressed with how well I communicated with the waitress - no one else could understand her and she did not speak a word of English but I managed to be the lunch time liaison quite sufficiently :) I decided to be risky and order Gazpacho, which to my surprise I really liked!, and Paella. The infamous paella I decided I needed to try at least once while in Spain .. it was okay, I wish I could have ordered it without fish because although I was hoping my taste would mature and adapt to the pescado (fish) de Espana, it hasn't yet.

I loved just walking around the city after lunch - the streets are all cobblestone and the buildings are all very, very old. The main cathedral is GIANT and really a beautiful sight...I think there was a wedding there today and I tried to hang around to see the bride, but no luck :( For the first time since I arrived in Europe I actually feel like I am in a foreign country in Toledo.

We checked into our hotel around 4 and it's really nice! Right away Lauren and I took advantage of the gorgeous outdoor pool. I wish we had more time here because I am absolutely in love with Toledo...I can only hope Barcelona is as beautiful!

Gonna go watch the USA match now - I hope we don't get too many dirty looks as boisterous Americans ...


Ciao!

PS- 7 hour bus ride to Barcelona tomorrow....email/bbm me to keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment