Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Climbing Montserrat

Today, Lauren, Jenny (a friend we made here) and I took an hour train ride to Montserrat - a mountain with an old Monastery and various hiking trails leading to best views of Catalunya.

With the same train ticket, we got on a cable car to take us from the train station to Montserrat. From there we had breakfast (the best yogurt I've had in Spain thus far) and began our hike.

At the start there are a lot of statues and historical sights to see. However, once you really start hiking it's all nature! We opted for the longest hike which lead to the top of the mountain. More than 2 and a half hours later, we made it to the top! The view was breathtaking and the pride I felt for making it to the top of 1236 meters (over 4000 feet) is indescribable.

Once the paved paths turned rocky and salamanders out-numbered people, my legs began to ache and I was beginning to curse my over-ambitious personality. Why did I think I could hike an entire mountain under the Mediterranean sun??

The view made it all worth while, and during the hour long descent (and the train we took the rest of the way down) I couldn't help but bask in my glory :) I'm really glad we decided to visit Montserrat to add another cultural sight to my list as well as to say I hiked for nearly 4 hours! I feel great!!

PS- we only veered from the beaten path once (read: got slightly lost) but it made for a really great photo opt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment