Monday, July 19, 2010

Costa Brava!!

Saturday morning ISA took us on a trip to Costa Brava. Our first stop was Ciudad Romana; a site of Roman ruins dating back to centuries BC. The tour guides dressed up in Roman garb and took on the role of one of the inhabitants of the old “Domus’” or houses. I took the tour in Spanish (taking a leap of faith that I would understand ancient Roman history in a different language) and found it interesting to learn about the lifestyle living in a Domus, the Tabernae (shops - the mosaics were still intact on the floor tile white pictures of what the shop sold!), the Palestra (gym) and the public baths (gross).


After our tour, we had free time to visit the quaint town of Sant Marti D’ Empuries and relax on the beach. We rented a paddle boat with a tall slide attached for 12 Euro and spent an hour paddling, swimming and sliding ... it was SO much fun!!


We later checked into el Hotel Grecs in Roses, Costa Brava; a small residential coast with a beautiful view and next to no night life. Our hotel room had a breathtaking view, and although it lacked air conditioning (which I was looking forward to as an escape from Rafaela’s third story sauna,) as well as many other simple amenities, we had glass doors that opened up to a small balcony immediately over looking the pool and farther, the marina. We slept with the doors wide open and the cool breeze coming off of the water made for a very relaxing night’s sleep, and a very welcoming rising.





We went out to dinner in Roses -- it was a long walk down curving hills to the nearest restaurant, famished and tired of walking we chose the restaurant that seemed to have the most extensive menu along the water. “El Grille Steack House Pizzeria” was the restaurant’s official name - a title we did not take note of until after we ordered our drinks. We laughed to the point of tears when we noticed the misspelling of “Steak House” and worried what we were getting ourselves into by choosing a Catalan restaurant disguising itself not only as an American “Steack House” but also an Italian Pizzeria .... luckily, I live to tell this story. My hunger was satisfied and we even got some free drinks at the end of dinner from Tomas, our cute French waiter.

ISA rented a boat for us to board, heading towards Cadaquez, Costa Brava. The boat was a submarine boat with the bottom floor being 10 feet under water, a central floor with a covered area and an outdoor area, and an uncovered top floor. We played music, took pictures and soaked in the Mediterranean sun and it’s surroundings. I felt like I was part of a music video. Eventually, the boat anchored and we had time to slide(!) off the boat and swim in the crystal blue water of the Mediterranean sea. The entire time I kept asking myself, “How will I ever go back to swimming in the Atlantic?”
When the boat made it to our final destination, Cadaquez, Lauren and our two friends Morgan and Mallory and I wondered through the town on foot for awhile. We visited a few shops but most of all walked the coast to admire the breathtaking views. Most of the time we walked in silence, literally speechless. My pictures can never do justice to the beauty of Cadaquez - I wish all my family and friends could have been there with me to understand why in the future, I just might have to move there ;)


I had the best Gazpacho yet at a marina-side restaurant called ‘Ix! Restaurante.’ The employees only spoke Catalan so I was thankful the language barrier didn’t result in any order/delivery miscommunications :)


The town’s claim to fame is that Dali used to live there, and his house remains as a tourist attraction and remembrance to the famous painter. I didn’t get a chance to see the house, but I did purchase a replica painting of Dali’s, depicting his home town and the most beautiful marina I have ever seen. I can’t wait to frame it and hang it in my room!

The boat ride back to the bus was less animated; the hot sun left us all exhausted and I even took a twenty minute siesta laying out on the top deck. When I woke up, the captains of the boat called me in and told me to drive the boat (?!) I guess I just radiate good driving skills .... ha. It was a lot of fun!

Now we’re back in Barcelona and I’m ready for another week of school, sight seeing, and shopping! Only 5 more days until I’m in Roma, Italia!!


Ciao XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment