Monday, July 12, 2010

La Roja Reina


"Yo soy Español, Español, Español, Yo Soy Español, Español, Español ..."

Even on the metro, more than three hours prior to the final match of La Copa Mundial, Spaniards were proudly chanting adorned in red and yellow in anticipation for the 8:30 game. The atmosphere was exhilarating and the spirit was contagious (I couldn't help but join in on the chanting, although I probably should have been singing "NO soy espanol.." ... but when in Rome..)

We watched the game on two huge screens placed strategically in Plaza España. Surrounded by the famously beautiful fountains of Montjuic and over 75,000 other spectators, I could not imagine a better place to watch Spain win the World Cup.

After 118 minutes of arguably boring futbol, the crowed went absolutely wild when Spain scored the only goal of the game. FIreworks erupted, chants commenced, shirts came off, horns were blown and utter chaos ensued.

When it was official that we won, the riots started. I thought I experienced craziness when Maryland beat Duke this past year, but this city was at least fifty times more wild. Words can not describe the sights I saw on the streets!! The celebrations lasted well into the morning (although I went to bed by 3) and still today, almost 24 hours after the championship, the celebrations continue. From where I sit typing this in the free Wi-Fi lounge of the American Embassy - aka McDonalds- a little boy is singing "Es-pan-a!" Gotta love the Spanish pride!


I bought a newspaper today with a giant headline that read "La Roja Reina!" The Red reigns! I still can't believe I was a part of such a monumental piece of Spanish history. Viva España!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment